I am interested in neural mechanisms behind decision-making and brain plasticity. To study this, I employ behavioural measures, physiological recordings, as well as neuroimaging techniques.
I completed a PhD in Neuroscience at the University of Sussex, UK, working with Prof. Theodora Duka and Prof. Hugo Critchley to investigate the factors that drive impulsive actions and decisions. Specifically, I looked at the way emotions and bodily cues impact the way we behave, even when we do not realise it. Following my PhD, I joined the Lab of Action and Body led by Prof. Manos Tsakiris at Royal Holloway, University of London. At the LAB, I studied the coupling between the brain and the body, and how signals from the body can influence our decisions. I am now a postdoctoral researcher at the Laboratory of Brain Imaging at the Nencki Institute, where I share my time between a project looking at emotional responses to climate change and a project investigating how our brains change when we learn (and forget) new skills.
When the world is not hit by the coronavirus pandemic, I frequently go salsa dancing. I am also a keen cyclist.
- Herman, A. M., & Tsakiris, M. (2020). Feeling in Control: The Role of Cardiac Timing in the Sense of Agency. Affective Science, 1(3), 155–171.
- Herman, A. M., & Duka, T. (2020). The Role of Impulsivity Facets on the Incidence and Development of Alcohol Use Disorders. In Current Topics in Behavioral Neurosciences.
- Herman, A. M., Pilcher, N., & Duka, T. (2020). Deter the emotions: Alexithymia, Impulsivity and Their Relationship to Binge Drinking. Addictive Behaviors Reports, 100308.
- Herman, A. M., Critchley, H. D., & Duka, T. (2020). Trait Impulsivity Associated With Altered Resting-State Functional Connectivity Within the Somatomotor Network. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 14(June), 111.
- Herman, A. M., Critchley, H. D., & Duka, T. (2019). Binge drinking is associated with attenuated frontal and parietal activation during successful response inhibition in fearful context. European Journal of Neuroscience, 50(3), 2297–2310.
- Herman, A. M., Critchley, H. D., & Duka, T. (2019). The impact of Yohimbine-induced arousal on facets of behavioural impulsivity. Psychopharmacology, 236(6), 1783–1795.
- Herman, A. M., Rae, C. L., Critchley, H. D., & Duka, T. (2019). Interoceptive accuracy predicts nonplanning trait impulsivity. Psychophysiology, 56(6), e13339.
- Herman, A. M., Critchley, H. D., & Duka, T. (2018). Risk-Taking and Impulsivity: The Role of Mood States and Interoception. Frontiers in Psychology, 9(August), 1–11.
- Herman, A. M., Critchley, H. D., & Duka, T. (2018). The role of emotions and physiological arousal in modulating impulsive behaviour. Biological Psychology, 133, 30–43.
- Makovac, E., Meeten, F., Watson, D. R., Herman, A., Garfinkel, S. N., D. Critchley, H., & Ottaviani, C. (2016). Alterations in Amygdala-Prefrontal Functional Connectivity Account for Excessive Worry and Autonomic Dysregulation in Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Biological Psychiatry, 80(10), 786–795.